Thursday, May 7, 2009

School Show

The preschool show last night was AWESOME.  All of the kids totally rocked it, including and especially my own.  Jack was amazing and unintentionally hilarious with his trademark earnestness and white boy rhythm as he do-si-do'd his partner to "Cotton Eyed Joe."  He'd been practicing nightly for weeks and I was glad his nerves didn't psych him out of it.  Contrary to her announced boycott of the performance, Natalie sang, danced and all-around diva'd it up to "I Like to Move It" with Taggie joining her on stage.  The whole school finished off the night with The Macarena.  You haven't seen adorable until you have seen a bunch of 3, 4 and 5 year olds shaking their groove thangs in sync (mostly) to a cheesetastic one hit wonder.  Such a great night and the kids were thrilled to have my Mom, Aunt Joan and Gram (their beloved GiGi) there to cheer them along.  Highlight for us --  seeing our sweeties on stage, so confident and happy with themselves.  Highlight for them -- free water ice in the lobby after the show.  It's all about perspective.

Want to see some great pictures of them in action?  Yeah, so do I but I don't have any.  I, the woman who has photographed every major and most minor moments in her children's lives, who was posting cropped and edited pictures on Facebook mere hours after a caesarean delivery, have NO pictures of last night's show.  None.  Zip.  Zilch.  Nada.  How can this be when I lugged The Rebel and all of my lenses and flash to the show along with all of Queen B's gear, rendering me a highlighted, manicured pack mule?  Easy.  All of the expensive photography equipment in the world won't get you a single shot IF YOU LEAVE THE BATTERY ATTACHED TO THE CHARGER IN THE KITCHEN AT HOME.  Unbelievable, isn't it?  I was and am still breathless over my own stupidity.  When I realized what I did, I almost threw up.  After a second of shock, I pulled it together and decided to enjoy the show.  Then I remembered my purse camera but we were too far back for the flash to be effective.  I did remember the camcorder so at least we have video which is actually better in this particular case so all was not lost.  Still, forgetting something so important shocked me to my core.  It's like I left the house without wearing any pants, that's how vital a working camera is to me.  I really thought I had it all together and was handling this whole "mother of 3" thing well.  Apparently, I was terribly, horribly, ridiculously wrong.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I'm so glad it went well. And I'm glad Madam actually did it! The girls' have a school performance on June 1st (part of the graduation) and their ballet show on June 15th - I hope they both perform!

I'm so sad you didn't get any pictures of it though. Maybe another parent got some that they'd be willing to share? And anyway to get that video uploaded?