Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day

Today, I'm thinking of all of the men and women who have put their lives on the line for our country's freedom, especially the grandfather I never knew who served in World War II, the great-uncle who never made it back from Europe, the college friends who were in ROTC and are now scattered across the world and the Tobins' favorite soldier, Jack's hero, who is headed back to Iraq soon.  I cannot fathom what compels them to do what they do -- that kind of bravery is not in me -- but I am in awe of their courage and grateful for the sacrifices they and their families have made in the life they have chosen.

Today, I'm grateful that my husband is across the room rather than across the ocean as my friend's husband soon will be.  I'm hopeful that an arbitrary draft will never take my son from me.  I'm wishing that all of our servicepersons could return home safely to the loved ones who carry on as best they can without them.

God bless America and God bless our armed forces.

No comments: