Friday, May 8, 2009

The Ladies in My Life

I think Mother's Day is a Hallmark holiday on par with Valentine's Day, created to make money for the greeting card and floral industry and embraced by negligent offspring everywhere who seize the day to ease their guilty consciences.  It is nice, however, to take the time to reflect on the mothers who have shaped us and to let them know how important they are.  Giving them the love and respect they deserve is for everyday, of course, but if some folks need a day to remind them of that, so be it.

I've been blessed with so many wonderful women in my life.  Through good times and bad, they have been the constants in my life.

My Mom -- She has endured what no one should suffer with quiet strength, dignity and a determination to keep on going.  Growing up, I always knew I could count on her and that nothing I did or said could make her love me less.  She is the model on which I have based how I raise my own children.  I hope that Bonnie, Jack and Natalie will look back on their childhood and the woman who shaped them with love and thanks like I do on mine.

My Gram -- Almost 90 years old and still full of fun, happiness and optimism.  Her legs may not be able to keep up with her need to go, go, GO! these days but she does her best and pushes herself to the max.  I hope I am around to see my grandchildren if not my great-grandchildren so that I can be for them what she has been for me -- a friend, an inspiration, an example and a steadfast cheerleader.

Aunt Joan -- My other mother.  More like my Dad (her brother-in-law) than like her extroverted sister, she is the yin to my mother's yang.  Aunt Joan has always been in my corner, finding the good in whatever I do and cheering me on to bigger and better things.  She has been my buddy since Day One and I know that I can always count on her no matter what.  She couldn't love me more if she had given birth to me.  Not many people are lucky enough to have someone like that in their lives and I am so fortunate that I do.

My Grandmom -- I miss her now that I am in Delaware and she is way up in Yardley.  Even though I don't see her as often as I used to, it is comforting to know she is only a phone call away.  The original Survivor of Bad Things, I look to her example when I need to square my shoulders, set my jaw and push on through.  Knowing that she thinks I am a good mother makes me very proud as she is a tough judge, no matter how much the years have mellowed her.  Jack and Nattie love her to pieces, as they do with my Gram, and they are so lucky to have their great-grandmothers in their lives.

My Mother-in-Law -- She raised her family to be loving, funny and hard-working with my wonderful husband as the jewel in that crown.  She always has a kind word to say about everyone and her positive outlook is an example for us all.  I am forever grateful for all that she did to shape Tom into the amazing man that he is and I hope that I can do the same with my sweet boy.

Lauren -- She isn't a mother herself but she has a maternal way about her that you can't learn from any Dr. Sears book.  When I call her in a panic, she steps into her pediatric trauma nurse clogs and sets my mind at ease.  It is easy to see why her patients love her and feel safe with her when I watch her with my children.  She cares for them like they are her own and plays with them like she is one of their peers, much to their delight.  I know that if push comes to shove, she'd drop it all for me in a heartbeat.  My parents may not have given me a sister but the universe did when she was born.

Aunt Joann -- The fun aunt who has become my friend now that I am a "grown-up."  She is someone else I don't see nearly as much as I'd like now that I'm so far from home but somehow I always hear from her right when I need it.  Her great sense of humor and kind nature never fail to brighten my day.  She raised not one but two divas who could have given Natalie a run for her money if they were peers.  I hope The Madam turns out to be as sassy, smart and sweet as her girls did.

My friends -- Some of them are the kind of moms I am, some have very different approaches.  Regardless, we are there for each other, sharing war stories, laughter, tears and sometimes even an adult beverage or two.  I look to my mom friends, those I grew up with and those in my virtual world whom I have never met, for laughter, advice, support, recipes, guidance and affirmation and I always get back what I need tenfold.

Happy Mother's Day to all of the wonderful women in my life from those of you who are in the trenches right now to those of you back at the veterans hall, polishing your medals and having a cocktail.  The world is a better place because of you and all the love and sacrifices you made in your maternal vocation.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Beautiful! I hope you have the Mother's Day you deserve, Christy!