Thursday, May 14, 2009

Great Things Come in Tiny Packages

After another afternoon at the playground, I settled the big kids in the playroom with the delightful surprise of their Thomas trains which have been languishing in the attic, dumped Bon on her playmat for some tummy time and went off to clean up the post-lunch carnage in the kitchen.  Before I left the room, I covered the baby's legs because she seemed chilled even though it's a mild day.  (Could be aftereffects of the 1,000 mile/hour winds at the playground!)

When I went back to check on her, I found that The Energizer Bonnie's battery finally ran down.  She was snuggled in a heap on her mat, fast asleep, with just her face and one tiny foot poking out.  That skinny little foot just about broke my heart for while it's so small and basically useless right now, someday it will take a wobbly first step, storm off in a huff, wear heels, tap impatiently, dance wildly, be perfectly pedicured, have blisters, stroll up the aisle on Tom's arm, walk the floors in the wee hours with a sick baby and a million other things.  Looking at those baby toes, I saw her whole life laid out before me and I can only hope that her future is all of the good things I imagined and more.  For now, though, that foot is small, soft and sweet-smelling, mine to hold, kiss and play "this little piggy" whenever I want.  


2 comments:

Bethann said...

ACK!!! Such a gorgeous tiny little footsie !!! LOVING the leopard print blankie. :)

Karen the Californian said...

You have such a way with words! And I love her tootsie!