Tom's work has procured a batch of the vaccination in mist form and is giving it to all interested employees and their families this weekend. They don't currently have any of the vaccine in injectable form and are not sure whether they will be able to get any.
We are all signed up to get the mist. Well, not Bon and that is part of my concern. I have several worries around the whole thing.
First, I don't want my kids to die either from the flu or from the mist. I guess that goes without saying but it is the thought running on loop in the back of my head these days so I'm putting it out there.
When Tom and I initially discussed the mist, we were worried that the kids would get sick since it's a live albeit weakened form of the virus in the vaccine. Putting a virus in them seems counterintuitive although I know it's how the first vaccines were created and I understand the science behind it.
I called the ped and he said go for it. He said by vaccinating The Biggies, we are protecting Bonnie. That is why I signed up for the mist, the only form of vaccination currently available to us.
In researching the vaccines, I read that certain people including pregnant women, asthmatics, immuno-compromised people and small babies cannot get the mist b/c of the live virus. That made me question whether we should be around my 90 year old asthmatic grandmother. My cousin and go-to RN extraordinaire thinks we probably shouldn't be.
Fine, I'm all for erring on the side of caution but where does that leave The Bon? If we are all inoculated with the mist and are carrying this virus, can we expose her to it and make her sick? The whole point is to keep the kids, especially the youngest one, healthy. What is the best way to do that?
Unfortunately, there is no clear answer since the injectable vaccine is not now and may never be available for us.
My head is swimming. I just don't know what to do. We have until Saturday to decide the best course of action.
2 comments:
Good luck with your decision. It is a tough one.
Super tough decision.. I was against it altogether.. shot, mist all of it. Then I took Alexa in to the Dr. with Chloe in tow. Spoke with the Dr. & the nurse and Chloe ended up getting the mist. She is the only one in our family that got the vaccine in any form. I have had my regular flu shot as has Alexa..
I need to get Aedan in to get it.. I can't since I have asthma. I get very worried. I'm on the side of the fence that is telling me the vaccine is less threatening than the actual flu.. so there ya go.. but I love how they all say you have to get it.. blah blah.. and then they don't have it for everyone.. best of 5 ok with you?? It sure isn't with me.
Post a Comment