Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Picture Is Worth a Thousand Words...

and yet I didn't take one.

My Aunt and Uncle visited yesterday. It was so very wonderful to spend time with them. The kids just loved them -- Natalie took to Uncle Thom like her man phobia didn't exist -- and I sat back and watched the shenanigans with Aunt Joann.

At one point, Uncle Thom was holding Bonnie close and whispering to her. It took my breath away and made my eyes sting.

He looked so very, very much like my father. It was like seeing Dad hold my baby, something I have wanted for so long, tried so hard to imagine.

It was beautiful. And heartbreaking. And like a little gift to see, for one tiny moment, What Could Have Been.

For a second, before my brain caught up, my eyes told me it was Dad. And the joy I felt was worth how much it hurt when I realized it wasn't.

I didn't have the camera handy. That's okay. That one perfect, lovely moment is in my head, just for me.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

All I can say is "WOW"!

Now, I am wiping the tears from my eyes.

Bethann said...

sitting here bawling my own eyes out.

Karen the Californian said...

*hugs*