Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sunny Side Up

Natalie loves this (totally annoying) cartoon called "Max and Ruby" about bunny siblings. She was watching it yesterday while I worked in the kitchen and then came in to announce that she wanted "eggs that you can eat with a spoon. NOT with toast and NOT like Daddy has them." Okay, what? We went back and forth and I determined that she didn't want them scrambled and not like Daddy's eggs meant no pepper because she doesn't like it. I still wasn't getting what she meant or how toast was involved. Finally, in exasperation, she said "White and yellow, MOM!!!"


Gotcha, sunny side up but I knew in my heart that there was no way -- NO WAY -- that she was going to eat it. I told her to wait for Daddy to come home and I'd make it then since he'd eat it if she didn't like it. Nope, nuh-uh, no way, that "silly bird" might put pepper on it. I wanted her to wait for Bonnie to wake up since Queen B eats anything I put in front of her. No, she had to have it that very moment.


So we talked about how it's wrong to waste food and that if I made it, she'd have to eat it. "MOM, I'm going to LIKE IT! I promise!!!" Fine, far be it from me to talk her out of an excellent source of protein and what do I know? Never in a million years would I expect a child of mine to like pork and beef (Bonnie) or black olives (all 3 kids.)


I made the egg while she watched me carefully. Here is the rest of the story in pictures...



Happy and excited about her Max and Ruby eggs (had to make 2 since I broke the yolk on the 1st one)



Not in love with the smell but still game to try it...

Starting with the egg white, she approaches the moment of truth...

Her mouth said, "I like it!" while her expression said, "OMG, I so totally DON'T."


Proving yet again that she's totally badass, she goes back for more, this time trying yolk...

Ruh-Roh

Panic sets in as the flavor assaults her taste buds.

She's freaking out and I'm laughing so hard I can hardly keep the camera steady.

I didn't see the show but I'm thinking that's not how Max or Ruby looked while eating their eggs.

Gross, NO SPITTING! Let's go to the sink!

And then I taught her how to wash her mouth out by swishing water around and spitting it in the sink. She thanked me for making the egg and teaching her how to get rid of the taste. I told her that she didn't have to eat the rest and that I was very proud of her for trying something new. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?


We dumped the offending eggs into a bag together and tied it up tight so that stink wouldn't take over the kitchen.

The End

5 comments:

Bethann said...

Thanks so much .. that was too good.. yet another reason to dislike Max & Ruby..

Gween said...

funniest thing I've seen/read all week.
and BRAVO to Natalie for being brave enough to try something new.

Unknown said...

That was hilarious!! I wonder if she would have liked over-easy better. The yolks are partially cooked then.

Sharon said...

Love it!

Tony said...

But no, here's the deal...Max and Ruby, they're like, IDK, 8 and 4 or so? Where are their parents? There's a grandma, but no mommy and daddy. Did they run away? Were they taken away and made into hossenfeffer?