That's me. I document the present, preserve the past. It's my self-appointed mission.
Last weekend, I brought my Gram's box of pictures to my house. Over 100 years worth of memories stored in an old Michelob box in her basement -- that's the family archives. That is no way to treat several lifetimes worth of wedding, graduations, family trips, etc.
Now the pictures are stored on my back-up hard drive and DVDs. Safe and sound.
Will anyone ever look at them? Probably not. But I'll sleep easier knowing that they are protected just in case someone ever wants them.
Culling through all of the photos, I came across the one below. Look at the love on his face and how he melts into her.

God in heaven, no wonder she is a wreck. How do you learn to live without that kind of love???
Tennyson said that it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. Tennyson is an asshole. I'd bet the ranch that he's an asshole who never lost a child.
I wonder if he is the originator of "everything happens for a reason" or if that's some other asshole?
There are some things you don't come back from. Burying your child is definitely one of them. The pictures reminded me of what she had and how hard she has fought to keep her head above water in the last 15 years.

Growing up, I wanted to be just like my Mom. And now it's my biggest fear.
5 comments:
Christy ~ Whenever I read your blog that may be centered around Jonathan or your Mom I tear up because I can feel the passion that you feel about everything you type. I can feel the love and the heartbreak. I'm so sorry your family had to got thru it and will have to live with such a loss for the rest of your own lives. :(
Oh my - your Jack looks exactly like your brother in that first picture!
Oh Beth, I'm so sorry, I don't want to make anyone cry. I try to never talk about anything heavy like this IRL because it makes people uncomfortable so this is my dumping ground when it gets too much. My family is everything to me.
Don't ever apologize. As much as I feel sad for your family I enjoy getting your perspective. :)
You may not want to make people cry, but you do...in a good way. I LOVE that you love your family. I LOVE that you pour your heart out into words and pictures and share it with your circle of friends.
Do you know how rare that kind of love is? I would give almost anything to have felt that growing up.
And you're absolutely right. Tennyson is an asshole.
Post a Comment