Monday, February 15, 2010

Peer Pressure Is a Mofo, Even for Moms

Thanks to The Great Blizzard of 2010 followed by Presidents Day weekend, my kids have been out of school for over a week. Lots and lots of pajama days, TV time and togetherness. It's been glorious.

Sure, I went through periods of "GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!" because I hate being housebound, love being out and about. More accurate would be "Get US out of here!!!" because there is nothing I love more than heading out on an adventure with my little buds, the kind that has been few and far between since Jack started the dreadful full-day kindergarten.

A friend said today, "I bet you can't wait for school to start tomorrow!" and I made noises of agreement like I have been with other mothers lamenting their kids being home from school but I was lying. I totally CAN wait. I don't want them to go back. In actuality, I ENJOY my children and I love snow days as much as they do. What is so wrong about that?

I don't know. Nothing is wrong with liking my kids' company but it feels like something must be. Why else would I be denying the pleasure I get from being with them? Why else would everyone expect me to be all bored and exasperated with all the extra time I've had to be a hands-on mom over the last week?

Honestly, I feel ashamed for not speaking up and saying, "Hell no, I love when they are home! My kids are AWESOME." But saying that instantly puts the other mother on the defensive. Should they be? I don't know, maybe. That's not my call. I don't care whether they are one of those people moaning about their lack of Adult Time. I just wish was that they wouldn't make me feel like a weirdo for loving every minute I get with my little buddies.

They are going to be big so soon. In the blink of an eye they will transform from my comrades to merely my housemates. They will spend their snow days sleeping in and then head out to go sledding with their friends. When I imagine that, I feel happy to think of them being independent and well-adjusted "big" kids but I feel sad to imagine me waving at the door as they leave. Always mindful of those fast-approaching days, I want to enjoy now. And I do. I just wish my attitude was the norm rather than the "get these kids out of my hair!" attitude.

I had kids because I actually LIKE kids. I think they are fun. They take everything at face value, they tell it like it is, they believe in magic and all kinds of funny-weird crap and they are just all-around hilarious. That is pretty much true of every child I have ever met and most especially my own. Truthfully, I'd rather hang out and finger paint or play imagination games with a roomful of random children than have a glass of wine with most of the adults I know.

Does that make me a wacko? Maybe. But that's how it is. In my head at least. Out loud, I'll be singing a different song. The one that goes, "Yes, all these snow days are RIDICULOUS..."

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I am with you! I love when my kids have days off and we're counting down the days until Spring Break! I was looking at the calendar this morning and realized that Sam only has a few months left of Kindergarten....how is she almost a 1st grader??

And when you said you'd rather hang out with a bunch of kids than have a glass of wine with the adults.....that is something my mom would say and she's one of the best women I know!

BTW, love the new Tobinville banner.