Monday, February 1, 2010

On the Mend

Little Miss Pneumonia had a rough weekend. Between the aforementioned pneumonia, an earache and two teeth breaking through, my girl was in bad shape and worse spirits, not that I could blame her.

The fever is gone, thank God, and it took most of the lethargy with it. Good riddance.

I guess this is due to the anitbiotic that she is sort of taking. I say "sort of" because Girlfriend is NOT a fan of Augmentin and she's not shy about letting us know how much she hates it. Her feedback has come in the form of screaming, writhing and spewing out the medicine, usually all over my hands, face and hair.

I am really tired of washing dried up crap out of my hair these days.

Tom took the medicine back to Rite Aid to have kid-friendly flavor added to it. (Why don't they just put it in there at the manufacturing plant? Right, so they can charge harried parents an additional $3.99 for it later.) Unfortunately, the new flavor doesn't taste any different. Don't just take Bonnie's word for it. I know this for a fact as it's been spit into my mouth both before and after the flavor boost.

I am really tired of things being spit into my mouth these days.

Augmentin really is gross. I can't blame her for acting like a belligerent drunk the minute she smells the stuff near her face. Besides the nasty taste, the consistency is working against us. It is like molasses so I can't just do a quick dump into her mouth and be done. No, it feels like we're struggling in slow motion as the meds slooooooowly pour out of the spoon and onto her thrashing face. Man, and I thought diapering her was rough since she got bigger and stronger. That's child's play compared to medicating her.

We won't even talk about the impact Augmentin has had on her diapers. Suffice it to say it is epic.

Hopefully, I'm getting more into her than onto us. She doesn't understand that if she doesn't take her medicine, she'll relapse and run the risk of going to the hospital for IV meds. I, on the other hand, am well aware of how important it is that every precious drop get into her tiny body to help her immune system do its job.

Time for this morning's dose. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Glad she's feeling better & I hope you can get the rest of her meds into her.

When Sam was in the hospital, they had her on liquid phenobarbitol - that tasted like dish soap (their words)! Seriously, they think making medicine that tastes like soap is a good idea? Talk about a PIA to get it into her. They thankfully gave us pills we could crush and mix with cherry syrup when she was discharged.