but there were plenty of us -- current Moms, former Moms and future Moms -- marching on Washington almost 10 years ago. Young Moms, old Moms, Columbine Moms, Grandmoms, Mr. Moms, grieving Moms and all there for one reason -- to stand up and say, "We are NOT okay with gun violence, gun leniency and gun advocacy."
I know, I know. 2nd amendment, blah blah blah...right to bear arms, blah blah BLAH. Tell it to a mother who has lost her child to gun violence. Tell it to MY Mom. She'll tell you the Second Amendment can kiss her ass.
I've been going through old photos and scanning them onto my hard drive for safe keeping. That is what prompted this trip down memory lane. It was a very powerful day, that hot May day almost 10 years ago. There were so many of us there, all with our own reasons, many of us with ghosts in our hearts and at our sides, but we were as one for a few hours. United in our hope for a better, safer future. I sat there thinking of Jon as always but also with Jack, Natalie and Bonnie on my mind. I didn't know their names or their faces yet but I was there to stand up for their right to live freely and safely in this great country of ours.
Did we make a difference? Probably not. Nothing much has changed. Gun lobbyists are a powerful group with deep pockets. Those who haven't been personally affected by gun violence don't care about gun safety so it's not usually the hot issue in elections. Am I glad I went? Hell yes. I stood up for what I believed in, surrounded by like-minded folks, and it was worth the trip. I would do it again in a heartbeat. And as always I pray that I will never stand among the Moms who represented their lost children like my Mom did.

The boards went on and on with tributes to lost loved ones and testimonies from those left behind.
My Mom standing near her tribute to Jon and his picture.
The Weeney women marching in memory of our sweet boy.

My Mom standing near her tribute to Jon and his picture.
The Weeney women marching in memory of our sweet boy.
My dear friend Judy and her children joined us on the trip, proving that you don't have to suffer the loss to know that changes are needed.




No comments:
Post a Comment