Monday, September 28, 2009

Happy Birthday, Baby Brother

Today is my brother's birthday. He would have been 33.
Nothing more to say about that. Nothing that isn't sad, sad, sad. Lord, I'm tired of carrying (and carrying on about) that sorrow so let's leave it be.


The kids and I went to my mother's this afternoon to celebrate "Uncle Jonathan" quietly.

We went to the cemetery to visit his "statue". The kids fiercely competed to see who could find his name first.

They oh-s0-carefully distributed the pumpkins that we brought as decorations for him, Gramps and Poppish.

Yes, I can and do take pictures anywhere. What of it?

It was a beautiful afternoon, perfectly overcast for gorgeous pictures.

Bonnie enjoyed her first visit to Holy Sepulcher.

Once the pumpkins were perfectly placed, it was GAME ON.

Is there any better place for a fierce game of hide-n-seek tag?

Uncle Jonathan was base. He would heartily approve.

If the souls could hear us, I hope they enjoyed the unfamiliar sound of laughter rather than the tears they'd usually hear.

Tag! You're it!

Not everyone enjoys being IT.

Down, girl! Better get out of here before that shriek raises the dead.Happy birthday, best friend. Miss you today and always.

3 comments:

Gween said...

1. Happy Birthday to your brother
2. I love seeing your children playing in the cemetary.
3. Pictures anywhere are the best idea ever
4. Nattie's expressions make me pee my pants in fear...just a little.

Bethann said...

I sit here with tears in my eyes as I look at your little ones playing at Holy Sepulchre. It also made me smile. My Gram and Pop Pop and other relatives are also there and I don't visit as much as I'd like.

Happy Birthday Jonathan.

Kelly said...

Christy-
What a Truly Beautiful Tribute to your Brother. Sometimes life just isn't fair and it pains me to know that you will always carry this with you. I, too, have several Family members buried at Holy Sepulchre. I know you and your Beautiful children brought so much joy to so many people (living and deceased) that day:)
Happy 33rd Birthday, Jonathan!