Friday, September 18, 2009

Through a Child's Eyes

It's easy to get so caught up in the hustle and bustle of life that you forget the big lessons you have learned over the years. Sometimes you hear about Big Things so often that they cease to be large, cease to be real. A sure cure for the jaded mentality -- discuss Big Things with a child.

The kids and I read books every night before bed. We probably have more books than some libraries do. I have bought so many through the years, some that they have outgrown at least according to the age recommendations on amazon.com and some that are a bit advanced for now but will be great down the road.

Tonight, Jack chose one of the more mature books on the shelf. I had actually forgotten that I bought it at his preschool's "half off" sale last spring. I was a little nervous about reading it tonight since I hadn't previewed it first (like the godawful mummy book from Auntie. Trust me, you DON'T want to know how they made mummies!)

Jack wanted to read Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln. Sure, why not?

Let me tell you, it's a gorgeous book. Lovely art, a simple to follow story that touches on the key points of Lincoln's life and the issues that drove him and quotes from his many speeches.

Jack was very interested. Even Natalie listened quietly. I was moved to tears by a story I've heard time and again but don't give much thought.

After covering his childhood, the book describes how Lincoln went to New Orleans and saw 12 slaves chained together, ready to be sold. It talked about how they would be torn from their parents, their siblings, their spouses, their children.

Okay, of course I know that happened and I know it was unimaginably awful. Reading it aloud to my precious babies, seeing the painting of the people in chains, explaining what "hideous" meant and how it related to slavery -- that really drove home the terrible shame in our nation's history.

I was surprised that Jack was able to define slavery for me. Natalie was wild-eyed at the thought of having to leave me to "work and never play!" It sounds dramatic but I literally shuddered at the thought of watching my children and my husband led away from me to do godknowswhat godknowswhere.

According to the book, most northern lawmakers were against the Emancipation Proclamation (if you ever want to test whether you truly know what a word means, try to define it to a child) as well as against freeing slaves outside of the 7 states that seceded from the Union. Lincoln maintained the courage of his convictions to garner support for the cause that he believed in with every fiber of his being. He did it knowing that he was sending countless men to their deaths. He did it without telephones, televisions and the internet to spread his message of equality to a wounded, angry nation. Amazing.

Anyway, I thought it was a really awesome book. It certainly gave me pause and made me see what I knew in a new light. I hugged my babies tighter for it. I felt thankful that I live now and not then. I hoped that we as a country would come even farther than we have towards true equality for all people in our great nation.

2 comments:

Bethann said...

Very Poignant. THanks so much for sharing

Karen the Californian said...

Here, here!