Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Umm, thanks. I think

Walking my Gram to my car this morning, we run into the owner of the shore place Gram rents.  I think Debbie is an annoying busybody so I keep moving rather than have to answer a million questions and hear a bunch of stories that will put me right to sleep.  She calls out, "Congratulations, I heard your good news!"so I smiled and thanked her, of course, thinking maybe she isn't all that bad.  She follows it up with, "I hope this one works out better than the last one!"

Oh.  My.  GOD!!!

Seriously, I was stunned.  I mean, most people  go out of their way to avoid acknowledging sensitive topics for various reasons including but not limited to not knowing what to say, not wanting to witness an emotional reaction, not wanting to "catch" the bad luck, etc., etc.  I've had plenty of experiences where I've watched people go all shifty and wild-eyed while talking to me about something inane b/c they are thinking about my misfortune and hoping I won't start bawling all over them.  (Never have, never will.)  I actually had friends never call and drop out of my life rather than acknowledge my brother's death.  Anyway, the point is, I'm used to people ignoring, for lack of a gentler word, difficult topics and I'm mostly okay with that.  This woman, on the other hand, not only did she mention my loss when she didn't need to but she linked that terrible event in my life to a joyful one.  I'm not (very) superstitious but DAMN, was that necessary???

So I stood there, wide-eyed and blinking, while she smiled expectantly.  What was she expecting?  A spectacle of emotion?  Sincere thanks?  A throwdown on her front lawn?  I took a deep breath and in my most withering tone, said, "Wow.  Me, too."  She waved and lumbered off to the house, oblivious as so many foot-in-mouth sufferers seem to be.

Gram was quiet the whole way to the hairdresser, knowing it was her loose lips that had been telling tales in the first place.  I wasn't mad at her and I wasn't even mad at Debbie, just shocked at her lack of tact.  To say that she hopes this baby doesn't die like my last one did in the same cavalier tone she'd say she hopes it doesn't rain at my next cook-out like it did at my last one...WOW.  All I can say is WOW.

Maybe I'm being too sensitive.  It was suggested today that my hormones are skewing my view of things which really surprised me.  I think I'm rational and sane (but doesn't every crazy person think that about themselves?)  Perhaps I should say I don't think I'm any more irrational than I am when I'm not pregnant.  *sigh*  Maybe that's not saying much.


5 comments:

Stacey Cannon said...

OH. MY. LORD. You are not being too sensitive, that was flat out ignorant!!! I'm so sorry!!! ((HUGS)) What a moron!!!!

-Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog!!! I know I better enjoy the suits now, because once he's done with this job it'll be back to camo and big black boots all the time!!! :)

Jenny B said...

Holy crap. I am stunned.

Maria said...

Wow. I don't know what to say. That has to be one of the most insensitive (and dumbest) things I've ever heard.
And you are right, people who are pro's at inserting their foot in their mouth, are oblivious to how stupid some of the crap is that comes out of their mouths!

Sara said...

whoa Christy. that was so obnoxiously rude, I dont even know what to say. sorry she's such an idiot!

Meg said...

Jesus Christ! You're not being too sensitive. She has a very big case of an affliction I see about once every month. But, you know, multiplied by a thousand. ;)