This got me to thinking about the shows that were forbidden when I was a child. The neighbor kids were always talking about "Three's Company" and I'd play along like I knew what they meant. My brother and I were never allowed to "Three's Company" and "Laverne and Shirley." Mom didn't use words like "low brow humor" or "double entendres which are inappropriate for children" to explain her reasoning b/c the 7 year old version of me would have been like WTF? but now that I have seen the shows as an adult, I understand her why she stuck to her guns on that one. At the time, I lamented that her lack of coolness was making me uncool by default since I couldn't join in any discussions with my friends (don't even get me started on how my 7th grade English teacher would quiz the class on the previous night's Cheers episode every Friday morning and I lived in fear of getting called on and having to admit that I didn't watch it b/c it was on after my bedtime.) Now that I'm a mother, I understand her why she didn't want us watching adult programming and I'm going to shield my kids from the Jack Trippers and SpongeBobs of the world for as long as I can, even when the kids are old enough to think they are missing something or when other parents look at me like I'm nuts. Seriously, just because it's animated doesn't automatically mean it's for children. Japanese anime porn, anyone?
2 comments:
Hahahaha!! I should have read before you came over. Actually, there are several episodes of SpongeBob that are outlawed, but for the most part, it does have value. I especially love the fact that SpongeBob loooooves his job, is a hard worker, and best of all, it isn't an easy-to-love, cushy job. He's a fry cook.
But I get where you are coming from. That is actually the only thing rated Y they are allowed to watch, and when my friend's kid was into it, and I mine weren't, I was so happy, because it is an assault on the senses. But I have grown to love him.
My struggles are music. As much as I love Usher, listening Tyler sing "I want to make love in this club" made my tummy turn. Ugggh. Radio Disney isn't much better either.
Post a Comment