Allow me to translate:Dear Mom, I don't like when you leave. Love, Natalie
So, yeah.
*sniffle, sniffle*
That's what I found waiting for me on the counter when I got home from my "date" with Jack last night. (Pizza and grocery shopping. Yeah, we know how to party.)
I had just finished welling up in Giant because Jack hollered, "Mom! Listen! It's our song!!!" when "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" came on the store's speaker system. I was overcome with love for my sweet and precious boy who is still innocent enough to dance with me in public, be it a family party or the middle of the supermarket.
After that little love fest, I thought I'd had my sentimental moment for the day but then I saw the note from my middle monkey, the one who used to screech and cling and beg me to stay if I put one foot out the door to check the mailbox. Now, she is big enough to let me go, open enough to express her feelings and smart enough to write them down.
I could tell her that I don't like to leave and 99% of the time it would be true but she wouldn't care. At her age, it only matters how she feels.
Soon enough, she'll be glad to boot me out the door so she can have the house to herself.
I'm going to save the note for when that day comes so I remember what it felt like to be the center of someone's universe.
It feels wonderful.
Oh, the triangle thingys? Yeah, those are hourglasses. Apparently, she was timing me. *sigh*
Our family song may be "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" but The Madam and me...our theme has always been "Every Breath You Take."
No comments:
Post a Comment