Monday, March 21, 2011

Moms Need Treats, too

Every month, Tom and I pay the bills for things ranging from must-haves (food and shelter) to nice-to-haves (cell phones) t0 I-probably-wouldn't-die-without-it-but-it-feels-like-I-woulds (internet fo' sho'!) Like most families, when that is done, there isn't a lot of cash left. What does remain usually goes to stuff for the kids.

I love my children and I enjoy spending money on them. Baseball tickets, tutus, water ice...sometimes we splurge on special treats and we will keep doing so as long as they remain grateful rather than expectant. Wearing older clothes and checking books out of the library that OMG strangers probably sneezed on and read in the bathroom!!! are not what I ever imagined I would be willing to do but those little sacrifices are worth the smiles I get when I see my babies enjoying the things my parents couldn't afford when I was young.

Once in a while, though, I want a treat. Something for me. Not something boring like sneakers (even though I've been wearing the same pair since Natalie was born) or something necessary (Some may not consider a professional eyebrow waxing necessary. I consider those folks lucky because they obviously weren't cursed with manbrows like mine.) No, I'm talking about a treat. Something I don't need but definitely want.

When I find that something, I get obsessed. It's all I think about, kind of like when you first start dating someone and you can't stop thinking about how cute they are and how great you'd be together. Eventually, like most crushes, the desire passes. My head clears and I'm glad I didn't spend the money on myself after all. But once in a while, I can't take it. The yearning is too strong and I have to give in.

That's how I ended up with a new camera bag.

Yes, I know, I already have a backpack camera bag that can hold most of my gear and a utilitarian shoulder bag that fits my Rebel and a spare lens. Aside from the fact that they are B-O-R-I-N-G, neither one has space for my wallet, keys, diapers, etc. so I end up needing to bring a purse AND a camera bag with me. Or, more often, I throw my beloved camera in my giant diaper bag along with sippy cups, half-sealed bottles of antibacterial wash and packs of Wet Wipes.

Seriously, my Rebel must have a guardian angel all its own to have made it this far.

So you can see why I NEEDED a bag big enough and safe enough to carry my necessities when I go out with one or more members of the tribe.

My new bag arrived last Friday. I literally squealed when I saw the box. You know you're getting something good if a company is bold enough to put such a declaration on their packaging:



I opened the box and found my new bag all cozy and safe in a special bag of its own...


And here she is! Jo Totes Rose bag in Sugarplum. Purple is my favorite color so a camera bag can't get much better than this! So pretty that I can use it as a purse on those (rare) occasions that I go out without my camera.



Look how much it holds! iPhone, keys, wallet, diaper and wipes, notepad and crayons, antibacterial wash in its own secure pocket, my Rebel T2i and 3 lenses (1 attached to the camera.) All that and room to spare for my flash, a Barbie or 2, maybe even the iPad I desperately crave...


I think we're going to be very happy together, Sugarplum and me.




7 comments:

Bethann said...

well isn't that just super fancy!! Congrats on your prize (as we call those special treats) :) enjoy !

Gween said...

Is it a bad thing that I want the bag without having the camera?
VERY nice!!

Melissa said...

Love it! But, did it not come in Phillie Red? Oh, I thought you were a fan. LOL. Just kidding. It is very cute!! And you are very deserving of a special treat.

Christy said...

You got me there, M! I'd actually rather have it in Eagles green but they had neither. ;-p

Unknown said...

OMG!!! I MUST have one. I don't know if I can live another day without it but I am going to have to wait until next month when I get my Childbirth Ed check b/c that's for extras for me. I won't get purple b/c I don't want to be "that" girl!! I'll have to settle for blue ;-)

Christi said...

I just got the exact same bag. Been waiting since Christmas to order it. I'm so happy that you posted a photo of how you configured the bag. I'm still fiddling around with the dividers to get the best setup. I like you have yours arranged!

Sharon said...

Want!