Thursday, March 3, 2011

More Bonglish

My friend who is studying to be a speech pathologist wanted to see Bon in her element so I'm posting a few more videos for her to review. Oh J, how I wish you lived closer!

Yes, I totally enable her in this one...


The chin-tapping means "please". It's one of our made-up signs.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Christy, after seeing these videos, I have to agree with you...she does not sound like a 2 year old. In the "I love barbie" video on FB, she was very clear. In these videos, however, I think she sounds delayed. Will your insurance pay for private speech therapy? When can you get her reevaluated? That really stinks...she should have qualified for services.

Christy said...

Okay, when you said that you could understand her, I wondered how you could decipher her babble. I didn't realize you were going off the Barbie video rather than the ones here. "I love Barbie" and "Hi" and "Guy" are her clearest communications by far for whatever reason.

Our insurance will only cover services if they are deemed medically necessary and since the hospital uses the same standard of measurement as the county, we were denied when I tried to get her private treatment last fall after the county initially denied her.

She is on the county watch list and they said they could reevaluate her in 4-6 months. The thing is, unless she loses her receptive abilities -- GOD FORBID! -- she still won't qualify. As long as she remains able to follow directions and answer questions with pointing and gesturing, she's going to score as only slightly delayed because of their skewed way of measuring speech. It's making me crazy. :-(

Karen the Californian said...

Man. That really stinks. If it makes you feel any better, Elizabeth could barely put 2 words together when she turned 2. And now she's reading all manner of books, books that I dared not to go anywhere near, even in middle school. And I was also told not to worry. Something about her growing up in a bilingual household (whatever). But then again I'm not a speech pathologist either.