Tuesday, September 28, 2010

34 Candles

It's my brother's birthday. I can't really make a big deal out of that because, you know, he's dead and that makes people antsy.

He stopped blowing out the candles at 19 but I still mark the years for him as they pass.

With the kids in "real" school and no Jewish holiday fortuitously falling on his birthday like last year, we won't be making the trek to the cemetery this time around.

But that's okay, I can still celebrate. Quietly.

Happy birthday, little brother. Miss you today and always, best friend.



2 comments:

Gween said...

I never understood why that makes people uncomfortable.
He remains your brother even though he's gone. How you choose to celebrate him is your choice. And if that means celebrating his birthday, or that one Tuesday night he made you laugh...so be it.
It might not make the pain go away, but at least you can have a moment to think of him and smile.

And on a personal note, I feel honored to get to know him through your eyes.

Happy Birthday.

Bethann said...

I agree with Gween.. I don't get why it should make someone uncomfortable. You can still celebrate his life even if he isn't with you any longer.
I didn't know him very well when we were all children but I will wish him a belated Happy Birthday because everyone deserves to have their birthday recognized :)