It is pissing me off.
Facebook is my oasis, my respite when I have a quiet moment to myself. Now these jokers are shitting all over it and I'm ready to explode.
I love the Phillies. I love exciting games, the wild card race, October baseball...it's awesome.
But even more, I love the Eagles.
Their games are more exciting from game 1 on through the rest of the season.
They were my Dad's team. He loved Philly sports but he lived and breathed for The Birds. The man bled green.
I love both teams. I also enjoy watching the Flyers and even the poor, lowly Sixers. But I'm a middle-of-the-road sports fan (by Philadelphia standards, at least) so don't just take my word that it's possible to really and truly love more than one team. Take my husband's word for it. Like my Dad was, he's a truly rabid fan of the Phillies and the Eagles and doesn't seem to have any problem juggling the two in his heart.
So, knowing him, I know it's possible to care about both sports. It doesn't have to be a competition. Liking the Phillies doesn't automatically mean you have to jeer at the Eagles, gloat over their losses and finish a mean-spirited post with "Go Phillies!" But if for some reason, you don't like football in general or the Eagles in particular, that's fine. No law says that you must. Just go about your business and keep your trap shut.
In other words, you don't have to be an asshole about it. Or maybe you can't help it. Maybe you just ARE an asshole and therefore acting like a jerk is your natural state of being. In that case, my condolences to the people forced to interact with you each day.
It's an interesting phenomenon, one I haven't seen in any other segment of the Philadelphia fan base. I've never heard a Flyers fan laughing about how bad the Sixers are. There were no Eagles fans rubbing it in when Hamels wasn't getting any run support earlier in the month. Nope, it's just a small, shitty portion of Phillies Phandom who are running their mouths about the Eagles.
It's enough to make me want to root for the Yankees.
Okay, scratch that. Nothing could make me cheer for the Yankees. But you get my point -- I'm really annoyed about this.
Eagles-hating Phillies fans, didn't your mother ever tell you that if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything? If she didn't, she should have. If she did and you are ignoring her, shame on you. Stop acting like the braggy, bratty kid that everyone wanted to punch in the school yard..
It's the City of Brotherly Love, after all. There is more than enough team spirit to go around. Why can't we all just get along? And if we can't, why won't you just shut the eff up?
Thank God for the "hide" feature on Facebook. Buh-bye, morons.
E-A-G-L-E-S...EAGLES!!! and Gooooooo, PHILLIES!!!
2 comments:
That is so weird. It is baseball and football; apples and oranges - you can't compare the two.
But, I bet the Eagles would take the Phillies in a bar room brawl, especially with Vick leading the Birds.
Yeah...I don't get it either. I kept re-reading your post thinking, "maybe Christy meant to type Steelers" but then I remembered that you are super smart and would NEVER make that kind of mistake being from Philly and all.
I guess some people are just douche bags and you can take some solace in knowing that they probably don't have 3 brain cells to rub together.
Oh and sports totally suck...JUST KIDDING!
Post a Comment