Thursday, April 21, 2011

One Step Closer to Being a Big Kid

With her siblings in school most of the day, Bonnie gets plenty of "Mommy time." Not as easy for me to carve out one-on-one time with Jack and Natalie but I do my best. Fortunately, Natalie loves to shop, even if it's just for groceries, so I can always take her along when I run errands on the weekend. She calls it our "girl dates" and after we finish our errands, we have lunch and chat.

Not as easy with Jack. He hates to shop, not that Natalie would let him bump her from a trip anyway. I used to take him to the movies when Natalie went to bed but now she's too old to be tricked like that. Once in a while, I stand my ground and take him out for pizza, just the two of us, but he always feels bad about leaving Natalie bawling back at the house, bless his tender heart. I've resorted to putting her to bed a bit early with my iPad and then snuggling up with Jack on the couch. He doesn't care about going out; he just cares about having me all to himself.

Last night, we settled in to talk about his day or so I thought. He sat up like he had something Big to say and announced:

Mom, I need to talk to you about something.

Instantly, my heart was in my throat and my stomach was churning. Why? What could my well-behaved 7 year old son possibly have to say that warranted such a reaction? I am such a nervous freak.

J: I want to talk to you about Easter.

Oh God. Please God, not the crucifixion fixation again. He hasn't had a religion lesson in like 2 years and that's pretty much why! Please don't let him ask me if Jon is going to rise from the dead. I don't think I can talk him through that again!!!

C, outwardly calm: Okay, buddy. What's up?

J: I know where the candy comes from. I know who the Easter Bunny is.

C: Yeah? Who?

J: It's you.

C: Yes, you're right. It's me and Daddy. Does that bother you?

J: No, that's fine.

C: Did somebody tell you that?

J: No. I thought about it and really, there is no way a giant bunny could carry candy into our house.

C: Good point, buddy. It was fun to believe when you were littler, though, wasn't it?

J: Yeah.

C: Okay, so let's not tell your sisters then. We'll let them figure it out for themselves like you did. Okay?

J: Yeah. *pause with thinking face* Wait, I'll still get candy, won't I?

C: Of course! You'll just know that it's from Daddy and me, not some crazy bunny.

J, relieved: Okay, good. That's fine.

So we settled back on the couch, me feeling good about our little talk and that the truth didn't shatter his faith in whatever. Not so fast there, slick. We're not out of the wood yet!

J, sitting back up: Mom. You know what else I know?

C, eyes widening: What, bud?

Meanwhile I'm thinking, Oh God, NO! NotSantaNotSantaNotSantaNotSantaNotSanta!!!

J: It's about Santa.

SHIT!!!

C: What about Santa?

J: I know that not all the presents are from him.

C, not sure where this is going: Yeah?

J: Yeah. I know that the stuff I tell you at the end is from you. He gets me the stuff I put on my early list but the last minute stuff is from you. There's no way he could keep updating my stuff and keep up with what everyone else wants. The parents have to help.

C: You got me there, buddy. Are you okay with that?

J: Yeah, I'm glad you help. I just like presents, doesn't matter who they're from.

Oh my big-little boy. So logical but still so innocent. May you always believe in magical things and have faith that I will take care of your "last minute stuff" for you.

Easter 2004

No comments: