Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Little Orphan Taggie

While playing a vicious round of Uno (in which I got trounced) yesterday, the following conversation took place:

N, with Taggie on her lap: Did you know I'm not Taggie's mom?

C: No, babe, I didn't.

N: Well, I'm not. I just take care of him for his parents.

C: Oh yeah?

N: They died. His Mom and Dad died.

C: That's a shame, sweetie.

N: Yeah, it is. They got blasted. *significant pause while she makes sure I'm looking at her* Like your brother.

C: Oh...well. Oh. Hmmm.

N, waving her last card in the air triumphantly: UNO!

Where does she get this stuff? She's only 5, she couldn't be deliberately trying to put me off my game so she could win. Or could she? I mean, this is The Madam and all.

*sigh*

We went all summer without talking about death or blasters or anything that a little girl shouldn't have to know and then she comes out with this doozy.

¡Ay Carumba!

1 comment:

TallGirlsAdventures said...

It won't make you feel any better, but my little July 2005 baby has a thing for throwing words like die, death, dead, and heaven at my face at opportune moments too. I think they're at an age where they're trying to get their heads around the concept. But. They totally know how to zing us (they have gasp sensors or can sense our heart rates increasing or something). My favorite comment lately goes something like "Mommy, now that you have Jakey here, would you be sad if I went to heaven TOMORROW?"