Sunday, June 6, 2010

I'd File This One Under "Classy"

Have you ever noticed that when people say something is classy, it is usually the opposite? Take people on reality TV. Classy seems to be a big word on those dating shows and, honey, there is nothing classy about gold lamé or leopard mini skirts.

I have never heard anyone with style or elegance refer to something as classy. Basically, classy is the unofficial opposite of tasteful.

So when I saw the new Huggies diapers that are supposed to look like jeans, "classy" is the first word that came to mind.

I don't care what color the diapers are or what item of clothing they are supposed to resemble -- letting your kid run around in just his poop catcher is trashy.

Or "classy", depending on your mindset.

I know what the makers were going for. And they so missed the mark.

Or maybe not. Maybe there is a huge market with a burning unmet need out there, just dying for their sons to look like Village People and their daughters to toddle along in faux daisy dukes.

Hey, what do I know anyway? I'm not very classy after all.

5 comments:

Sara said...

I picture a bunch of redneck boys in flannel shirts with the sleeves cut off, and mullets wearing those diapers.

Bethann said...

I suppose when I let my kids run around barefoot with their koolaid mustaches in the streets of Limerick the denim printed diapers will look quite classy :)

Christy said...

Hahaha, yes, Sara, with a baby bottle full of Coke!

I don't know why but "the streets of Limerick" made me laugh out loud! Maybe b/c it sounds like someplace Leprechauns would frolic and your little Irish Aedan would fit the bill?

I shouldn't mock the diapers, I mean, you know, whatever floats your boat and I'm definitely no Stacy London. The big question is -- do you pay more for the "fancy" denim diapers? I'm going to have to find that out.

Jamie said...

At first I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them. But then I got to thinking that under a dress for baby girl (because they stop making the matching diaper covers long before they're out of diapers) might be cute. Then I regained my senses and realized a diaper is a diaper is a diaper!

Christy said...

Interesting, I never thought about under a dress, Jamie. I tend to buy the girls' clothes at Baby Gap and Gymboree, though, and they come with bloomers through 5T so it's a moot point for me.