Monday, June 7, 2010

I Hate to Admit This...

but I hate my new camera. The fancy-schmancy one I got for my birthday.

The one I researched and researched.

The one I not-so-secretly coveted.

Turns out, it's not as good as my Rebel was in its heyday.

The pictures are soft, even blurry. The colors are washed out and it doesn't handle yellows well at all. I have to really edit each photo and my kids still end up looking translucent.

You don't even know how disappointing this is. It may sound dramatic but I'd even go so far as to say that it's devastating.

It was really hard for me to tell Tom. He worked hard to save up the money to get it for me and it sucks to hear that someone doesn't like a gift you gave them even if the dumbass (yep, that's me) specifically requested that gift. He understood, bless his heart. He understands everything.

Sometimes that is annoying because it reminds me that I am not always understanding. I hate when my husband's finer points highlight my own shortcomings.

Anyway.

I rarely take pictures anymore. By rarely I mean that I take maybe 50 a week although the number drops each week. If you know me, you know that is a big deal.

I can't go cold turkey but my heart isn't in it.

It's not that the kids are less cute or that nothing interesting is happening. It's that it hurts my heart to take the pictures, download them and find that they are all crap.

I listed the camera on craigslist and Tom posted it on his work intranet. If we can't sell it, I will, of course, keep it. And take like 400 pictures a year. I guess that would make me normal.

Normal is overrated. And, in this case, hardly a good way to chronicle the lives of my wonderful family.

Cross your fingers that someone takes it off my hands because I really need to put it behind me and get a good one back in my hot little hands.

A camera-deficient Christy is a very, very sad Christy.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

That sucks Christy. At least you admitted it and didn't let your kids get by with only 400 pics per year taken of them. I hope you can get rid of it. Break out the REBEL!

Bethann said...

That truly DOES suck.. and I can totally understand your disappointment. :( I hope you can sell it quickly.. :)

Jamie said...

What kind of new camera did you get? I hope you get somebody to buy it off you.

Christy said...

If anyone would understand, it's you, BA. ;-)

It's a Canon 50D, Jamie. I had high hopes based on the reviews but it has not lived up to my expectations.

I had one person from craigslist express interest but they were shady. Their note was in broken English and they wanted my paypal info when I specifically stated cash in my ad. No thanks.

The Rebel is past its prime, Melissa. I wore that poor sucker out.

Sharon said...

Oh man, Christy. I am bummed to hear this. You are my picture-taking hero!