Saturday, January 7, 2012

Too Close for Comfort

I made myself breakfast at 2:00 p.m. today. A little later than usual but not much.

I was starving, cranky and exhausted becaused I skipped dinner last night in favor of going to bed at 8:00. It was a long week of back-to-school adjustments after our lovely Christmas break.

The kids have been all over me today which is part of the reason I hadn't eaten and part of the reason I was cranky.

I microwaved some soup since that was the quickest option and eagerly sat down to eat it. Seeing the steam, I knew it was too hot to eat so I pursed my lips to blow on it...

And realized there was already a cool stream of air aimed at it.

What the HELL???

Oh.

Silly me.

That was just Natalie, silently posted behind me, cooling off my soup when she saw that it was too hot.

I am so loved. Stalked like the latest Hollywood It Girl. But so, so loved.

I'm working really hard on always appreciating the powerful affection my children have for me even if sometimes I want to bury my face in my soup just to have a moment alone.

Someday, I will sit in this house by myself and there will be nobody to cool my soup for me because they are all off doing their own thing.

I wish I could trade places with that future self for an hour. Then we'd both get a taste of what we think we want.

No comments: