Friday, October 10, 2014

True Love

Even though my children are young, from time to time I speak with them about love and what a good relationship should have. The girls especially are bombarded with all kinds of mixed messages in television shows and music about how love should be dramatic and passionate, fraught with constantly tempestuous breakups and make-ups. That may make for exciting TV but Lordy, what an exhausting way to live. 

Instead, I tell them, a good partner is someone who cares for your feelings, enjoys your happiness, comforts your sorrow and supports your goals. While passion is an important part of a relationship, it's not the key ingredient to long-term happiness. I'd argue that equal parts kindness, patience and humor are what makes a couple committed to staying together despite the inevitable bumps in the road. 

Flower and chocolates and grand gestures are nice but they only take you so far. 

True love is a thousand little things unique to each couple, private jokes and shared memories. It's the sparkle in your happy times and the glue that holds you together in dark times. 

It's preparing his favorite dinner, making the bed because she can't sleep if the sheets are messy. It's sitting through a chick flick without complaint or listening to him go on and on about his fantasy football team. 

It's picking up beer because his friends are coming over. 

It's visiting people you have never met, honoring their memory because she loves them and you love her. 


It's what I am blessed to have and what I pray my children will find. With the example their father sets, I doubt they will settle for anything less. 

No comments: