Thursday, May 14, 2015

Judgement from the Kindergarten Crew

Just finished volunteering in Bon's class. Nothing like having your life choices attacked by 6 year olds.

Leora:  are you going to work now?

Me:  no, I'm going home

L: but what about your job?

Me: I don't have a job. 

Evan:  YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB???

L, looking poleaxed:  But what do you do for work?  What is your job???

Me: my job is being Bonnie's mom. 

L:  yeah but what is your REAL job?

I wasn't going to get into a philosophical discussion of how all parents' "real" job is being a parent and that some have paid employment as well while some don't. 

E: does your dad have a job?  I mean, Bonnie's dad. 

Me: yes, he works  

E:  but why don't you???

Didn't feel like the time or appropriate audience to explain why tom and I made the choices we made before I was even pregnant. 

Me: because I don't have to.

At this point, they were looking at me like I was an exotic creature from deep space, something maybe interesting but mostly bizarre. I stared back, waiting to see what was coming next. 

Finally, Leora:  only really old people don't work.

Me: well, I guess I'm old. Let's clean up the sawdust now. (We were making particle board.) 

By their standards, I'm really old. Does this mean I can get the senior citizens' discount at Kohls?  That would be SWEET. 

No comments: