Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Eighth Mother's Day

Do I think it's ridiculous that one day is set aside to send mothers flowers and cards when they deserve their children's love and respect every single day?

Yes.

Is it, in my opinion, a cheesy-ass Hallmark holiday?

YES.

Did I enjoy every single minute of it today?

Ab. So. LUTELY!

Not because I love cheesy things although I do. Don't make me sing the entire Grease 2 soundtrack because I can and I will.

Not because of the gifts from Tom -- Although at times I may treat you as such, you are not my child but, baby, I'm so taking that gorgeous Starbucks gift card anyway!

Not because of the card from Natalie (oh how I miss the lovely handmade gifts the kids proudly presented in their preschool days! Ghetto public school doesn't bother.)

Not because of those things or perhaps it's not JUST because of those things. No, mostly it's because of the sentiment I'm allowed to express.

I love my kids! I LOVE being a Mom! (For reals. I know my last post may imply otherwise but I was having a really bad day that was actually unrelated to motherhood for the most part. Seriously! Okay, whatever.)

ANYWAY.

It is kind of uncool to declare my love of motherhood. Kind of like if I'd admitted to my classmates that I went to the library weekly and of my own volition back in high school.

I mean, of course, I love my kids. Most moms do. But I love them a little too enthusiastically sometimes. I'm like Mary Katherine Gallagher when it comes to being a Mom. I start talking about how Woohoo!!! There are only 3 weeks and 4 days left until summer vacation!!! and I see people's eyes widen as they prepare to take a step back from me since I am obviously deranged and maybe carrying a knife or something.

Except I'm not. I just have really awesome kids. And I love summer vacation.

Okay, part of that is because I HATE the epic morning battle of getting The Madam up and dressed for the bus and it breaks my heart when Jack tells me how long and boring his days are.

(I loved school. LOVED IT. That a child of mine is miserable in school stuns me whenever I think about it.)

I'm full of all these uncool thoughts and emotions when it comes to my kids and I try to tone it down and be all, I totally have other hobbies and interests that are more interesting than my children except I don't. Because, seriously, what could be more interesting than these 3 little people who only exist because of Tom and me? That's AMAZING.

We made them and yet we have no idea what they will want or who they will become. In that respect, everyday is like a surprise party (or sometimes, like an IRS audit.) How could I not get psyched over that?

So anyway, the point is that on Mother's Day, it's totally kosher to be all Yay, I'm a Mom!!! Nobody says condescending things like, "God, I don't know how you do it. I'd go crazy being home with my kids all day. How do you not get bored?"

Just like I've never answered that question out loud in an honest way, I won't share my thoughts on that asinine question here because I'm still on a Mother's Day high.

My kids are not my life. I will not fall apart when they grow up and leave home. Maybe I'll go back to work. Maybe not. If the past has taught me anything, it's that the future cannot be predicted with any real accuracy.

Knowing that, I feel happy and proud that my kids, while not my life, are my focus. They are all mine for such a short period of time and that is why I try to enjoy every minute.

Sometimes I don't. I can't see myself ever getting really worked up over a 30 minute discussion of the different types of Battle Droids in The Clone Wars. And the butt wiping...have I mentioned how eager I am to be past the butt wiping era?

But those are just little things to endure, nothing next to all of the joy and peace my children have brought into my world. That's why today, while they celebrated me, I celebrated them. I thanked them for making my Mother's Day so wonderful but also for making my life so rich.

Bonnie had no idea what I was saying but Jack and Natalie did. Jack beamed when I reminded him that he is the person who made me a mother and Natalie always puffs up with pride when I thank her for helping me take care of "our baby" as she calls Bonnie.

Eight Mother's Days since Jack was born...what on Earth did I do with my free time in the days before him? Slept more, read more, shopped more, laughed less. I really can't remember. I know I was happy but I wasn't complete. Now I am.

And to think I owe it all to one too many margaritas...


1 comment:

Jamie said...

Thank you for putting into words everything I feel about being a mother. And 3 weeks left until summer vacation here....I think I'm as excited as the girls are!